Next Training: March 9-10, 2018, 9:00am to 5:00pm
Where? Comfort Suites Baymeadows, 8277 Western Way Circle, Jacksonville, FL, 32256.
Provided by: Michael Brown, MSC, LMFT
Certified Gottman Therapist, Couples Workshop Leader, & Clinical Trainer
This is the first step in learning Gottman Method Therapy! A truly inspiring workshop, Level 1 training will give you new insight into couples’ struggles using proven assessment techniques and intervention strategies.
Our practical, emotion-focused, and highly effective approach is based on Drs. John and Julie Gottman’s four decades of research with more than 3,000 couples. It is the most extensive study ever done on marital stability and divorce prediction.
In this workshop, you will be provided with a research-based roadmap for helping couples compassionately manage their conflicts, deepen their friendship and intimacy, and share their life purpose and dreams based on the Sound Relationship House Theory.
You will be introduced to Dr. Gottman’s breakthrough research on thousands of couples to understand the difference between the “Masters” and “Disasters” of relationships. If you are not already doing an assessment, this training will teach you how to assess a relationship’s strengths and areas of concern using empirically validated questionnaires.
You will view original videos of real couples from the famous Gottman “Love Lab,” as well as videos of Dr. Julie Gottman demonstrating assessment and interventions in a case example from her private practice.
What will I learn in Level 1?
You will learn research-based strategies and tools to help couples successfully manage conflict. You will gain skills to empower partners to dialogue about their worst gridlocked issues by uncovering their underlying dreams, history, and values. You will gain tools to help couples process fights and heal their hurts, and techniques for partners to deepen their intimacy and minimize relapse.
Who is this training for?
This training is for mental health providers, allied professionals and clergy, students and interns, family clinic staff, professors/teachers of couples therapy, researchers in the social sciences, and employee assistance professionals. There are no prerequisites.
What is included in this price?
Included in the registration price is a clinical training manual, which contains the core Gottman Method Couples Therapy assessments and interventions. You will be awarded a Certificate of Completion from the Gottman Institute.
- 300-page Level 1 Clinical Training Manual
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy Level 1 Training Certificate of Completion
- Up to 12 CE Hours available
- Eligibility to continue to Level 2 Training [link to Level 2 Clinical Training page]
At the completion of this training, you will be able to:
- Summarize the research that allows us to predict future relationship stability.
- Describe the seven levels of the Sound Relationship House Theory.
- Conduct a couple’s therapy assessment using elements of the couple’s narrative, the Oral History Interview, written questionnaires, observations of conflict, and individual interviews.
- Describe two interventions to help strengthen a couple’s conflict management.
- Describe two interventions to enhance a couple’s friendship system.
- Describe two interventions to explore a couple’s system of shared meaning.
- Explain why physiological self-soothing is essential for a healthy relationship.
- Create a therapeutic contract with a couple, discuss and decide on goals and include a summary of the couple’s strengths and areas that need improvement.
- Describe the Philosophy of Therapy, including assumptions, an overview of techniques, and goals of therapy.
- Describe the Rapoport Intervention and when to use it.
- Describe the process of therapy, including the structure of a session.
- Standard: $425.00
- Register at least 30 days ahead and receive an Early Bird Discount of $50
- Student/Intern Discount $50 (must register with .edu address)
- AAMFT/NEFMHCA/FMHCA Member Discount $50 (must include member id #)
- Discounts can be combined for a maximum total of $100
Cancellation/Refund Policy: If you cancel prior to three weeks before the workshop date, a full refund minus a $50 processing fee will be provided. Following the cut-off date, your fee can be applied to a future workshop.
CE Credits are optional and are purchased via credit card information or check the last day of the training. The following certificate fee applies:
Level 1 – 12 CE’s – $29.99
PESI, Inc. will provide CE Credits for the following Clinicians:
Credit requirements and approvals vary per state board regulations. Please save the course outline, the certificate of completion you receive from the activity and contact your state board or organization to determine specific filing requirements.
PESI, Inc., Provider #1062, is approved as a provider for continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. PESI, Inc. maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: January 27, 2017-January 27, 2020. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers will receive 12 clinical continuing education clock hours in participating in this intermediate course. A certificate of attendance will be awarded at the end of the program to social workers who complete the program evaluation.
PESI, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. PESI, Inc. maintains responsibility for this program and its content. PESI, Inc. is offering this activity for 12 hours of continuing education credit. Full attendance is required; no partial credits will be offered for partial attendance.
This seminar qualifies for 12 continuing education clock hours as required by many national, state and local licensing boards and professional organizations. Save your course outline and certificate of completion, and contact your own board or organization for specific requirements.
Marriage and Family Therapists:
This activity consists of 720 minutes of continuing education instruction. Credit requirements and approvals vary per state board regulations. You should save this course outline, the certificate of completion you receive from the activity and contact your state board or organization to determine specific filing requirements.
Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
Participants must attend the entire seminar and complete an evaluation to receive a certificate. Failure to sign in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available.
Please let us know how we can serve you. If you require ADA accommodations please contact our office 30 days or more before the event.